The Mazda MX-5 ROADSTER DESIGN COMPETITION is a national design contest organized by Mazda Philippines which aims to discover young, talented design students and offer them a glimpse into the world of automotive and industrial design.
Using the new Mazda MX-5 Miata open-top sports car as inspiration, contestants will be required to submit their interpretation of how the ‘MX-5 will look like in 25 years’ of the future will look like. A panel of esteemed judges composed of representatives from Berjaya Auto Philippines Inc., the National Council of Industrial Designers, Mr. Vernon Sarne Editor-In-Chief of Top Gear PH, and Mr. Tom Matano will evaluate their works.
Only one Group winner will be chosen to visit the Mazda Headquarters and Museum in Hiroshima, Japan as the competition prize, with one representative from Top Gear PH.
- a) The Mazda MX-5 ROADSTER DESIGN COMPETITION is open to students who are citizens of the Philippines and enrolled in National Council of Industrial Designers-affiliated programs, courses, colleges and universities and design-related courses, either in an undergraduate or graduate capacity.
- b) Contestants must be at least 18-years old by the deadline date for submission of entries.
- c) Contestants must have a passport valid for at least ONE YEAR from DATE OF DEPARTURE to qualify for the competition.
- d) The admission into Japan will be subjected to entry visa approval from the Embassy of Japan in the Philippines. If more than 2 persons from the winning group are denied entry visa into Japan, the visit will be cancelled. All cancellation will be final without monetary compensation.
- SUBMISSION OF ENTRIES
- a) Contestants must submit their entries on a per Group basis. Individual entries are not allowed.
- b) To verify that contestants are bona fide students, the name, email address and contact telephone number of the Department Head of the student’s college should be included in the entry forms. Absence of these information will automatically disqualify the contestant and his/her entry from the competition.
- c) Contestants are only allowed to submit one design entry for the duration of the competition. Only One Group winner composed of their Mentor and three (3) students will be declared the Design Competition Winnerin the design competition.
- d) All labeling of images and diagrams as well as support statements of the entry must be in English.
- e) By entering the competition, all contestants are certifying the work they submitted is wholly their own. Plagiarism from the work of a third party is strictly prohibited and will be disqualified from the competition. Disqualified works will be cancelled and withdrawn at any stage of the competition by the organizers.
- f) All works must be submitted to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com. Upon receipt of entry submission, a confirmation email will be sent to the contestant.
- g) Competition period is from July 1 to 31, 2015. Deadline for submission of entries will be 24:00 Philippine Standard Time, on July 31, 2015.
- PREPARATION OF ENTRIES
- a) All entries must contain an interior and exterior design whether in color or black and white.
- b) Contestants should not sign their work or identify themselves, or their school or college, anywhere within their entry. A unique ID number will be assigned to each entry and competitor to ensure impartiality during the judging process.
- c) All entries must be presented professionally: all explanatory information must be typewritten and sketches must be clearly identified and explained.
- d) Judges will take into consideration the manner of presentation – the explanation and visual presentation of the design, as well as the design itself, in determining the winners of the competition.
- e) Non-compliance to the above clauses will result in automatic disqualification.
4) TECHNICAL REQUIREMENTS
- a) All entries including explanatory statements should be submitted in a single high-resolution PDF format and must meet the following criteria:
- Must be a PDF version 1.3 or higher with maximum size of 150MB
- Must be rendered in CMYK format
- Each page must be in landscape A3 and not contain crop marks.
- Each entry may only have a maximum of four (4) pages in a single PDF file.
- All images contained in the PDF must be high-resolution, at least 300 dpi, 3D models CAD file and in CMYK format
- All fonts must be embedded within the PDF document
- Transparent elements are not allowed within the file
- b) All entries must include a text/ written description of the design concept, how it interprets the ‘two-seat, open-top lightweight sports car’ design parameters, as well as the technologies involved in the design embedded within the PDF file entry.
- a) Berjaya Auto Philippines Inc. and the National Council of Industrial Designers shall be jointly referred to as ‘the Organizers’ of the competition.
- b) The Organizers reserve the right to verify the eligibility of each entry and acquire information from the participants and other related entities to this effect.
- c) The Organizers likewise reserve the right to not award, revise or withdraw the awarding of the prizes if contestants fail to satisfy the eligibility and submission requirements of the competition.
- d) The Organizers shall announce the winner during the awarding ceremonies to be held at College Of St. Benilde on August 8, 2015.
- e) This event will be in partnership with Top Gear Phils.
- a) The contestant shall retain the rights to the intellectual property of his/her work.
- b) The contestants agree to have the Organizers use their work and entries on websites, social media, print publications or other online and print materials owned and operated by the Organizers, or their successors, in perpetuity.
- c) By entering the competition, participants likewise agree to the use of their names and likenesses for advertising, marketing, trade show display and promotional purposes by the Organizers without further compensation.
- a) The Organizers shall not be held liable for late, lost, misspent, unreadable or damaged entries or any similar event that may occur during or after submission of entries.
- b) Similarly, the Organizers shall not be held liable to technical, hardware, software, service failure or human error that may prevent or delay the submission of the participants’ entry.
- c) The Hiroshima, Japan trip Prize includes round-trip economy class airfare, all applicable airport taxes, land transfers, accommodation and meals for the duration of the visit. All out of pocket expenses are care of the competition winners.
- c) The winner will be responsible for travel expenses from his/her local point of origin to the airport of departure (NAIA terminals) and vice versa.
- d) The trip to Hiroshima, Japan prize is non-transferrable in case the declared winner is unable to proceed with the trip for whatever reason. The same prize is non-convertible to cash.